We’re super excited to be featuring Dartington Crystal again here on Pixel Family. If you’ve not experienced Dartington glassware before, then you’ve been missing out. It exudes quality and luxury. Every single time we have used it, people have commented on it. I love the way it is almost immediately obvious that it is is quality crystal when you pick up the glass. They know instantly that they are holding quality.
We thought it might be interesting to put together a list of tips to enable you to learn how to tell the difference between glass and crystal.
- You can tell that it is crystal if it creates a rainbow prism effect when the light hits it. If it doesn’t, then you are holding just a plain glass.
- If you tap the glass and you hear a musical ring with a little bit of echo, then it is crystal. Otherwise, it’s most likely a regular glass. Interestingly, the higher the lead content, the longer the tone.
- A crystal glass is naturally heavier than the standard ones due to its lead content.
- Wet your finger and gently swipe it around the rim of a glass. If it makes a good sound, it is most likely crystal.
- The more lead, the clearer the glass. The crystal’s reflective quality is the reason why it is much preferred for wine glasses, jewelry pendants and chandeliers. This is where the term crystal clear comes from.
- Typically, glass usually has a thicker rim than crystal, as it is made thicker for more durability. On the other hand, crystal has the capability of being spun thin while maintaining its strength.
So what could be better than crystal glassware for the home that can be displayed everyday?
One of our favourite Dartington homeware pieces is the Athena Medium Bowl currently available for £65. This crystal glass bowl’s high quality weighted base ensures this piece feels as great as it looks. It can be used as a functional bowl or simply as a decorative piece.
Our next favourite is the Florabundance Tulip Vase, currently available for £49. This crystal vase has been designed to give large tulip bouquets the space and plentiful supply of water they need to flourish. What better way to display these colourful and distinctive flowers?
You can view their beautiful homeware collection here and if you fancy winning a Florabundance Tulip Vase for yourself, just enter via the rafflecopter below. Good luck!