We’re super excited to be featuring Dartington Crystal again here on Pixel Family. If you’ve not experienced Dartington glassware before, then you’ve been missing out. It exudes quality and luxury. Every single time we have used it, people have commented on it. I love the way it is almost immediately obvious that it is is quality crystal when you pick up the glass. They know instantly that they are holding quality.
We thought it might be interesting to put together a list of tips to enable you to learn how to tell the difference between glass and crystal.
- You can tell that it is crystal if it creates a rainbow prism effect when the light hits it. If it doesn’t, then you are holding just a plain glass.
- If you tap the glass and you hear a musical ring with a little bit of echo, then it is crystal. Otherwise, it’s most likely a regular glass. Interestingly, the higher the lead content, the longer the tone.
- A crystal glass is naturally heavier than the standard ones due to its lead content.
- Wet your finger and gently swipe it around the rim of a glass. If it makes a good sound, it is most likely crystal.
- The more lead, the clearer the glass. The crystal’s reflective quality is the reason why it is much preferred for wine glasses, jewelry pendants and chandeliers. This is where the term crystal clear comes from.
- Typically, glass usually has a thicker rim than crystal, as it is made thicker for more durability. On the other hand, crystal has the capability of being spun thin while maintaining its strength.
So what could be better than crystal glassware for the home that can be displayed everyday?
One of our favourite Dartington homeware pieces is the Athena Medium Bowl currently available for £65. This crystal glass bowl’s high quality weighted base ensures this piece feels as great as it looks. It can be used as a functional bowl or simply as a decorative piece.
Our next favourite is the Florabundance Tulip Vase, currently available for £49. This crystal vase has been designed to give large tulip bouquets the space and plentiful supply of water they need to flourish. What better way to display these colourful and distinctive flowers?
You can view their beautiful homeware collection here and if you fancy winning a Florabundance Tulip Vase for yourself, just enter via the rafflecopter below. Good luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms & Conditions
- Firstly, this promotion is open to residents of the UK only.
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering the prize draw entrants agree to be bound by any other requirements set out on this page.
- Entry is only available online. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received, only partially received or delayed for any reason.
- Entries that are incomplete, defaced or damaged will be deemed invalid.
- Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties. Any such entries will be invalid. No trade or multiple entries.
- No responsibility will be accepted for entries lost, delayed or damaged in transmission.
- Winner details will be publicly announced if permission is granted.
- Competition closes at 12am on 13th June 2019. Entries received after this time and date will not be entered into the draw.
- The prize is a Dartington Crystal Florabundance Tulip Vase.
- Prize details are accurate at the time of promotion; the promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of greater or equal value.
- Consequently, the decision of the promoter in all matters is final and binding.
- The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the promotion due to circumstances beyond its control. Neither Pixel Family nor any other respective agents involved with this promotion. Shall be liable for any failure that is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but are not be limited to. Weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities. Political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances relating to Force Majeure.